The article comprehensively covers the following concepts on how to meditate:
- What is meditation
- Why meditate
- How to meditate.
- Meditation techniques.
- Daily life meditation.
- Meditation facts and Tips
* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Before knowing how to meditate it is much essential you understand the meaning or definition of the concept of meditation. Meditation is much popular among many people in the United States and around the world. Some people meditate unknowingly since they don’t understand what it is to meditate.
Daily life concentrates around many issues and activities some of which we have little control over them. There are those that make our joyful moments turn into sorrows, the environs that harass, the physical and mental depressions, all among many that come to happen for us because we have little ability to overcome them.
But all in all, life has to continue and the only way to ease such situations is for human beings to discover some hidden power that can be used to overcome the uncontrolled situations to a satisfactory capacity.
Meditation however is a state of transformation of the human mind through some techniques that create and promote concentration, focus, and emotional positivity in thoughtless awareness. This state of the mind takes place when every thought in the mind is dropped and only the consciousness is left active. Meditation is neither imagination nor a practice, it takes place on its own either via techniques on how to meditate or self-triggered.
It is very common for someone busy engaged in an activity to meditate yet another one sitting in a comfortable silent place does not. Thinking, dreaming and mental concentration should not be mistaken for meditation because they are only practices that settle and satisfy the mind.
Meditation can take place irrespective of what you are doing, we can only be in this state or not. Meditation goes beyond sitting in a quiet place to ponder. It best occurs when the mind is calm, free of thoughts but at the same time is very much alert.
Meditation Does Not Involve the Following:
- Posture and Breathing exercises
- Activities that make you lose your control and awareness
- Thoughtless awareness
- Focus and concentration
- Dreaming and sleeping.
Why meditate ?– Reasons for Meditation
Apart from knowing how to meditate, there are essential reasons as to why meditate. Circumstances perhaps make people learn how to meditate and use meditation to address what they undergo. Meditation is much common in both West and East. In the United States, meditation has been used as a strategy to manage stress.
In the East, meditation is attached to creating some spiritual tranquility between the human soul and the Divine. Other reasons why people meditate is for healing purposes. There is miraculous healing of the body and the mind. Prevention of some illnesses in the human body is another core reason hence cutting on the treatment cost and budget. There is a general improvement in life quality by virtue of self-realization and spiritual development. Understanding our own mind and transforming it in a positive direction.
How to Meditate?
Modern life encompasses many demands and everyone fills to be constrained under limited resources and time. This leaves no room for our minds to settle. The stress level builds and mounts to unmanageable capacities and takes a different direction of posing a health risk. It is therefore necessary to learn the techniques on how to meditate.
Meditation helps in the restoration of the mind and replenishes the brain. The hard life hectic looks moderate and manageable. Everybody wants to happy and satisfied mentally, spiritually and physically. The meditation techniques covered here will enable you and the meditation beginners to understand and master how to meditate. This will help you do meditation when you feel that your mind is upset and you need an urgent solution for that.
- 6 OZ AROMATHERAPY CANDLE − Made of Natural Soybean Wax (SGS and MSDS Report available - No Petroleum or Paraffin Wax) ensuring it is free from harmful chemicals like petroleum and paraffin wax. Devoted to clearing and bringing abundance blessings. The combination of earthy sage aromas creates a natural harmony in the home and body to help you focus on energy clearing, protection, and blessings.
- 35-HOUR BURN TIME: Our Magnificent 101 Pure White Sage Candle not only brings positive energy and chakra healing into your home, but it also has an impressive burn time of 35 hours. This means you can enjoy the beautiful scent and benefits of this candle for an extended period of time. And because it's made with natural soybean wax and free from harmful chemicals, you can burn it with peace of mind knowing you're creating a sustainable environment in your home.
- BALANCED AND HARMONIOUS LIVING ENVIRONMENT: Elevate your vibration and cleanse your space with this candle that fills your home with positive energy and attracts your desired outcome by using the smudging ceremony. Smudging is a cleansing ceremony that involves burning herbs and oils in a manner that fills the home with the fragrance while energetically cleansing the space and body, making room for a new intention in your mind and raising your love and positive vibration.
- CLARITY FOR INTENTION SETTING: Pure White Sage Candle will be with you as you take time to sit & release negative energy. This can help you clear your mind and gain mental clarity, making it easier to set genuine intentions and cultivate positive thinking patterns. Whether you're setting intentions for personal or professional growth, filling in the blank with your specific goal can help you focus your energy and make room for new, elevated thoughts that align with your desired outcome.
- A GIFT OF POSITIVE INFLUENCE ON DAILY LIFE: The Magnificent 101 Aromatherapy Candle is more than just a gift. It's a gift of positive influence on daily life. The calming scent will bring peace and relaxation to any room. It's a thoughtful gift that shows you care about your loved one's well-being. Whether it's for a housewarming, birthday, or any occasion, this candle will remind your loved one that they're valued and deserving of self-care. Give the gift of love, peace, and manifestation.
* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Steps on How to Meditate
Choosing a quiet meditation environment
The environment should be quiet, calm, and free from any interruption. Meditation should take about ten minutes. This place could either be your bedroom, in the house, office or outside in the ground with little or no noise. Many people find it convenient to meditate while sitting under a tree or in the forest. The place can still have some little noise but not the one to make you lose focus. Some music or TV programs can soothe and lead the mind to a state of meditation. You can also choose a point in your garden to meditate at.
Prepare to meditate
This begins right from what you eat to what you wear. The clothes should be comfortable and not those that can cause shifting of your attention. The environment you have chosen should dictate the kind of clothes to wear. If it is a cold place it will be something nice to be in warm and heavy cloth to avoid interference by the cold. For worm areas, you will probably need light wearing to avoid heating and sweating that will divert your concentration.
The amount of time you will spend on your meditation will depend on you. Too short meditation time is not the best. Too long meditations are not good as well. Choose a moderate time within a range of ten minutes per meditation technique. This will give your mind enough time to recollect itself.
If you know how to meditate you will realize that your mind will be angry for something once the time for your meditation appears. You need not be consistent but your mind is going to operate within a premeditated time frame you created. To know the exact time to stop you can set a gentle alarm that will awaken you.
You ought not to count anything in your mind since you have to set yourself to a thoughtless mood. Meditation beginners can start with a short duration of approximately five minutes. The best time of the day has to be chosen depending on your convenience. Some people can prefer the daytime while others can go for the night.
Stretch out your body and muscles
This is very important bearing in mind that the process will be long and you will remain seated for some time. Stretching helps in the removal of tension and another discomfort that might arise during the meditation. Do not overdo the exercise since you will feel too tired. The neck and shoulders should be worked out. This also helps in the stimulation of the mind by increasing the blood circulation rate.
A Comfortable seating posture.
Make a comfortable sitting on a cushion placed on the ground. The setting should be comfortable for effective meditation. Sit in a lotus posture to avoid the balancing of the torso at the area around the spine. This can also be done on a chair or a bench but not crossing the legs. Lift your pelvis forward to center the spine in position. This is best done by placing a thick material at the back of your legs while seated on the meditation bench.
By tilting the pelvis forward you can stack the vertebrae to the upper direction. This makes them balance against one another. The weight of the torso, head, and neck is balanced in this case. Relax and release any tension. Your hands while arms facing up should be rested on your laps. You could also let them hang on the sides or you could as well rest them on your knees.
Closing the eyes
This is necessary especially for beginners. Those who know how to meditate can do it while the eyes are open. Closing eyes should not be much tight since you can easily be carried away by the slip. I prefer you close a little bit only to avoid the distractions. For those who prefer doing it while eyes are open then you can simply soften them to create a focus and concentration mood. Having done all this you can now enter the meditation practices and techniques.
- COTTON & LINEN MATERIAL: The floor pillow is skin-friendly cotton linen fabric, comfortable and super-soft touching. The mid filling is PP cotton fabric, which has good rebound effect, relaxing your hips. Great way to at ease and chatting with friends
- LARGE MEDITATION CUSHION: 22x22 Inch. Thickness is about 3.15-3.94 inch(8-10cm). This seat cushion is large enough to do meditation or yoga in silence. The square cotton linen floor pillow is suitable for living room bedroom indoor outdoor garden decor
- BOHEMIAN DESIGN: The seat cushion features bohemian style and brilliantly coloured flowers with nine stitching position to prevent deformation. This boho pillow seat is a high quality meditation cushion, Japanese floor pillow, yoga pad and tatami cushion. You can enjoy your leisure time sitting on the floor when being together with your friends, family and kids
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL FLOOR PILLOW: This wonderful decor is a great floor pillow for reading nooks, watching TV at floor, and is more comfortable than rugs or mats. You can play with your kids on the floor intimately without getting cold
- NOTE: The cushion is packed with compressed package, the thickness will recover in 10 seconds after you open it. If you are not 100% satisfied, contact us directly (even if after the Amazon return window) and we will provide you with a No-Questions-Asked replacement or refund
* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
By this far you are now acquainted with steps on how to meditate that lead you to the practice of meditation. It is now time to kick off the process by observing the following.
Breathing Meditation Technique
Critically listen to your breathing as you follow it step by step. Concentrate on the breathing pattern but do not change it, let it remain normal as usual. Breathe in and out and listen to the movements of your abdomen. Create some imaginations like an object on top of the ocean being tossed up and down alongside your breathing patterns.
Or any other pattern of imagination that will make an exciting feeling deep down inside. For beginners, they may start to worry and wonder. This is something normal and is part of the meditation. All they need to do is focus on their pattern of breathing in a gentle and calm manner. The imaginations should only be mental and virtual in reality. They should not portray anything that is real.
Concentration Meditation technique
This is a technique on how to meditate employed by those conversant with this practice. A simple object like a lit candle is placed in front of the eyes at a reasonable level that will not cause any straining. This object is let to fill and occupy the mind to a deep consciousness level. Focus on that object and don’t allow any other thought to run your mind or stimulate your brain.
Visualization Meditation Technique
This meditation technique is essential for both the beginners who are learning how to meditate and the meditation veterans. It involves the creation of a defined focal point in the mind that brings peace and calmness to the mind upon its exploration. This place should be unique depending on an individual.
Some of the commonly used places in the mind are the visualization of a sandy calm beach, a garden full of flowers nourished with a calm sea breath, a green quiet forest with a calm breath of fresh air. Explore this visualized place until you are overwhelmed by a sense of uniqueness and profound serenity.
Now switch and start exploring your immediate surroundings. Feel every sense around from sound, touch, listening before opening the eyes. Make it enjoyable and feel that is all you wanted and you have got it. Take a few deep breaths and get prepared to open your eyes.
Body scan Meditation technique.
Try to focus on every part of your body in order to create harmony between the relaxing mind and the body parts. While your eyes are closed, decide on a body part like to begin with. In most cases, the toes are picked first. Try to relax the part and explore any sensational feeling of it. This will relieve any upheld tension within this part.
Tour around all the body parts including the knees, abdomen, calves, back, chest, fingers, neck, shoulders, face, arms, head, hands, buttocks, and hips among others. Once you are done with these parts it now turns to focus on your general body as a whole. Relax it and release any tension as you focus on your breathing. Having done this you can now exit the meditation.
Walking Meditation Technique
This kind of meditation technique focuses on the movements of the feet and how is it liked to the surface of the earth. Walking meditations can be incorporated into a normal seated meditation. The walking place should be strategic and away from any distractions. It could just be a small area as long as you can make seven paces towards one direction before the turning. It is advisable to practice this while your shoes are removed.
In an upright posture, make slow and deliberate movement steps and concentrate. Do not focus on the feeling at first. Walk until you achieve seven paces before stopping with your feet together. Turn to walk in the opposite direction as you now listen and concentrate on the feeling under the feet. Try to concentrate on your breathing as well. Awaken yourself and evaluate the linkage between your feet and the surface of the earth.
The Heart Chakra Meditation Technique
Chakras are energy centers located in the human body. They are seven in number and chakras is one of them and is centrally located in the chest. It comprises the following attributes of humanity; love, peace, acceptance, and compassion. This meditation technique focuses on these attributes and places them to practice. Heart chakras meditation is practiced in the following manner:
You will begin by closing of eyes and create some warmth and some energy between your palms. This is done by rubbing them together. The right-hand palm is placed at the central position of the chest and covered at the top with the other palm. While taking a strong deep breath say “yum” as you breathe out. Keep creating some imaginations to cause more vibration of the heart chakra.
The image you imagine should be like green glowing radiation emanating from the chest and the palms. This energy will represent any of the attributes of personality coming into your mind. As you release the palms from the chest the energy you had held is not dispersed to the world and it touches relatives and friends. This energy could either be in form of love, compassion or peace, and acceptance. Once you have learned how to meditate with this technique you will feel a lot of joy in you and the people around you.
How to Meditate in Everyday Life?
The following tips and facts on how to meditate will help you to carry out your everyday life with meditations.
- Mindfulness practices. This involves focusing on your body every time you perform any activity or you undergo a particular situation. This can only take a few seconds or minutes in the midst of the respective activity. You could be eating or doing any other work. Some moments of sorrow or stress will call upon this instant meditation practice that makes you exist mindfully.
- Have a healthy lifestyle. This includes the right diet, body exercises, and enough sleep. Excessive consumption of alcohol and avoiding other drugs that may risk your health should be avoided. Take enough amount of water for the benefit of metabolism and body fluids.
- Reading watching and listening to inspirational, motivational, and spiritual materials. This helps in strengthening your personality and your ego as well. They offer wisdom and life directives that you need to be happy and motivated. Example of such book include One-Minute Mindfulness authored by Donald Altman
- Attending meditation retreats and classes. This will give motivation and guidance on how to meditate. Once you have mastered all it entails then you can meditate on your own without the help of anyone.
- Meditate on a daily routine and at the same scheduled time. It is believed that meditation after eating and early in the morning is the most effective and gives you a healthy lifestyle.
- Meditation is a journey of a thousand miles and should begin with the first simple step. This practice should not be stopped to make it enjoyable to be part of life.
* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.