What Causes Dandruff In Head And What Are the Symptoms? This is a type of skin condition characterized by dry, dead skin or white and grey flakes on the scalp or hair. Severe dandruff is contagious and can be noticed when white or grey flakes begin forming in the hair or scalp and begins to fall on the shoulders.
Although this type of skin condition doesn’t pose a serious health threat, it causes other beauty-related threats such as low self-esteem and confidence and hair loss. There are various ways on how to get rid of dandruff fast that we shall insight you on. Let us begin by finding out what causes dandruff.
What Causes Dandruff – In Men, Teenagers, Kids and Women?
There are various causative agents for this type of dry scalp condition. Both human beings and animals suffer from this type of skin problem. Dogs and cats are also susceptible. It is good to understand the real causes before finding out how to fix the issue.
The skin is normally characterized by dead cells on the outermost layer. These cells are important in protecting the skin against external environmental conditions such as sunburn caused by skin exposure to UV and UVB radiations from the sun.
When dead cells accumulate on the skin it becomes a problem, especially on skin pigmentation. Artificially dead cells ought to be removed through exfoliation to allow the formation of new ones. Naturally, the body shed them slowly unnoticeably.[Source]
The natural process of formation of new skin cells and shedding of the old ones can be affected by various factors such as environmental conditions and diseases. They can cause excessive formation and removal of dead skin cells hence causing the formation of dandruff. Some of the main causes of dandruff include:
- Incorrect use of hair care products such as shampoo, conditioner and oils.
- Chemical hair treatment processes such as hair lightening, too much or little washing.
- Skin conditions such as seborrhoeic dermatitis, Malassezia, eczema and psoriasis
- Harsh environmental factors such as hot climate, genetics, gender and age.
- Allergy to some nutritional elements and excessive consumption of products such as alcohol.
- Chronic ailments that weaken the immune system can also cause dandruff.
- Emotional stress and psychological trauma can also be a causative agent.
Signs and Symptoms of dandruff – in Hair and Dry Scalp
Various signs and symptoms depending on what causes dandruff indicate the possibility of this scalp condition. They can manifest in kids, teenagers and adults. When you realize such signs, it is good to think about how to stop dandruff before it becomes severe and chronic. They include the following:
- Formation of white or grey flakes on the scalp and in the hair.
- Itchy scalp and greasy looking hair.
- Patches on the scalp such as red, brown and white.
- For some individuals, crusting and formation of scales and rash on the skin.
It has been established that dandruff is a common type of skin condition that can affect everyone. The intensity may vary since it has been noted that men are more susceptible than women. People in the puberty stage to their middle age are also at high risk.[Source]
It is not common among babies. Young kids can develop a condition regarded as cradle cap which is characterized by the formation of greasy, scaly and yellow patches on the scalp. This condition is common among babies who are young below two years.
Severe Dandruff Causes – Seborrhoeic Dermatitis, Eczema, Malassezia & Psoriasis
Severe dandruff causes are associated with chronic scalp conditions such as seborrhoeic dermatitis. This condition not only affects the scalp but also other body areas such as the face, areas around ears, shoulders, chest and even on groins and armpits.
The main symptoms of seborrhoeic dermatitis include: itchy and scaling of the affected skin, the formation of pink or red patches that can result in crusting and the formation of yellow discharge. Severe cases may result in hair loss especially when scarring follows. If you realize that is what causes dandruff you should see a GP immediately.
Malassezia is also a type of fungus infection that causes dandruff on hairy parts of the body. This condition stimulates more cells to grow and hence the easy formation of dead skin cells. Various factors such as humidity, oily skin and sweatiness can cause Malassezia.
Psoriasis is also another skin problem that affects most people especially then Americans. The condition is among what causes dandruff since it stimulates rapid formation and shedding of skin cells. It is characterized by redness and skin inflammation.
Eczema is also another cause. It is characterized by itchiness, redness and inflamed skin patches. This type of skin condition is mainly what causes dandruff in teenagers and it is also common in kids.
Severe dandruff causes related to fungal infections can easily be fixed by using topical antifungal creams and antibiotics. Hair cleaning products such as shampoo and body washes can also help. Above all contact your doctor or a dermatologist before it becomes chronic.
- Expires 10/31/2023
- Unlock your skins potential with the power of aromatherapy that offers so much healing for skin wellness, natural solution without side effects, free of steroids or hydrocortisone;
- Instantly provides long lasting and nourishing hydration, helps soothe and calm dry patch, hives, rashes, sunburn and more;
- Gently and effectively helps restore, repair, strengthen skin barrier, protects & prevents flare up;
- Simply the best all-around multi-purpose everyday moisturizer that softens, moisturizes, rejuvenate your skin, suitable for hands, elbows, legs, scalp, for all types of skin, easy to use, fast absorbing, non greasy a little goes a long way.
* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
What Causes Eyebrow Dandruff?
There are individuals who experience white flaky skin behind the eyebrows. These are the major symptoms of eyebrow dandruff. People suffering from scalp dandruff are at high risk of getting eyebrow dandruff. Most of the above-discussed factors are also responsible for eyebrow skin flaking.
Similar ways on how to cure dandruff on the scalp can also be employed on how to get rid of eyebrow dandruff. Using topical creams and the best shampoos for dandruff can be a solution. Using cosmetics correctly and hair care products can also be used as a way of preventing dandruff.
If you suspect an underlying, medical condition, it will be a good idea to seek medical advice from a doctor who will diagnose what causes dandruff and provide the best treatment.
- Controls scalp fungus and dandruff
- Clinically proven to relieve flaking, scaling and itching
- Contains ketoconazole, an effective anti-dandruff ingredient
- Gentle, fresh-scented formula for all hair types
- Use just twice a week for dandruff relief
* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.