Does honey lighten hair permanently? Lighter hair is quite preferable, especially during summer. There are different ways to lighten hair, which range from chemical treatments to natural methods. It is quite known that chemical hair lighteners tend to be harsh and harmful to hair. This makes a major reason to know how does honey lightens the hair.
Methods on how to lighten hair naturally are the only ones that will avoid such use of chemical ingredients. Natural hair lighteners are not only safe to use but also affordable. Some of such ingredients include; honey, lemon juice, cinnamon, cider vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil.
Brassiness and hair dryness are some of the side effects of hair lightening, especially when an incorrect ingredient or chemical agent is used. Some hair types are not easily highlighted at once and may require several treatments to attain the subtle highlights.
How does lemon juice lighten hair? Just like honey, lemon is yet another home remedy for hair bleaching. It is more perfect when done on light hair such as dark blond and brunettes. It hardly works for black hair, but few people claim that it works when applied at least 5 times.
How to Lighten your Hair with Honey Naturally?
Using honey to lighten hair is a practice that has been carried out over the decades. Honey effectively lightens hair when combined with other natural ingredients. Apart from bleaching, using this ingredient on your hair gives it not only a beautiful appearance but also a soft, shiny look.
How does honey lighten hair? Here are simple recipes on how to lighten your hair naturally with honey. The instructions are basic, and the lightening treatment can be conveniently carried out at home on your own or with someone else’s help.
- Mix honey and distilled water in a ratio of 4:1. This helps to dilute honey since it is always too sticky. Add some apple cider vinegar to act as a conditioner. Alternatively, you can mix with your favorite hair conditioner.
- To boost the honey bleaching effect, add a little amount of hydrogen peroxide, an effective hair lightening agent.
- Give the mixture some time to settle and apply to your hair. With your shoulders protected with a piece of cloth, pour the mixture on your hair as you use your fingers to distribute it evenly.
- When your hair is completely covered with honey, cover it with a plastic wrap or cap, and allow the reaction to take some time. The best time to do this is overnight for a more effective outcome but to protect your beddings from the staining effect of honey.
- Using some warm water, wash honey out of hair and pat it dry with a towel. It is good to let it dry at room temperature with no need for a blow-dry.
- Use shampoo and hair conditioner as normal and your hair will not only attain golden hues of honey but look soft, shiny, and bright.
- You can alter the appearance by adding specific ingredients. For reddish blonde color, hues add cinnamon, henna, or ground coffee.
- Antiseptic hydrogen peroxide is ideal for use on minor cuts and abrasions (do not use on deep wounds, animal bites or serious burns)
- 3% hydrogen peroxide solution; hydrogen peroxide releases oxygen when applied to the affected area
- The release of oxygen causes foaming which helps to remove dead skin and clean the area
- Mixed with water, hydrogen peroxide is suitable as a gargle or mouth rinse; it may freshen breath
- A bottle contains 16 oz of hydrogen peroxide
* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to Lighten Black Hair with Honey?
Before thinking about how honey lightens hair, find out if you have light, dark or black hair. Honey works effectively for dark blondes, reds, brunettes, and natural grey hair. Black hair is hard to bleach using honey. Treatments of up to 5 times may work for some people though there are high chances of hair turning brassy and orangey.
Honey has been proven to contain the enzyme glucose oxidase that can produce peroxide. The peroxide in honey is not sufficient enough to bleach your hair. The pH and concentration are below the requirement for bleaching.
The enzyme present in honey can be activated to produce peroxide using some conditions. That is why water or conditioner is added to honey. It increases the pH value of the solution, making it effective for hair bleaching to take place.
Does Honey Lighten Hair Permanently?
It is possible to get golden natural highlights with honey. Different people will experience different results. There is also the possibility of brassy tones forming especially if you are dealing with dark blonde or black hair. Ash-blonde and brunettes can respond positively.
Natural hair lightening is a temporal process though it can stay longer when several shades are done. When the roots grow out, there is a natural blending of your highlights. You need to take good care of your highlights after honey hair lightening.
To make your honey lightened hair stay longer; you need to give it good maintenance. Use the best shampoo and conditioner to treat your hair. Cover it, especially when you are getting to a moist or humid environment.
Therefore, if you want to go light on hair, research more on how honey lightens hair, look at before and after photos, and make consultation if possible with a professional hairstylist.